Return to Sport Resources
Sport Medicine Advisory Committee
This joint message is from the Sport Medicine Advisory Committee comprised of Chief Medical Officers from the Canadian Olympic Committee, the Canadian Paralympic Committee, and the Canadian Olympic and Paralympic Sport Institute Network (COPSIN). It is meant to guide Canadian high performance athletes and National Sport Organizations (NSOs) with respect to support services and advised behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic. This advisory is updated as necessary and distributed to NSOs and other high performance sport partners.
–Advisory on COVID-19 – 30 March 2022
– Advisory on COVID-19 – 22 December 2021
– Advisory on COVID-19 – 21 October 2021
– Advisory on COVID-19 – 30 June 2021
– All previous advisory statements can be found here
- The Sport Medicine Advisory Council with input from Own the Podium, Canadian Olympic and Paralympic Committees have developed tools to assist in the decision making and are presently working in a task force on return to sport.
- COVID-19 Return to High Performance Sport Framework
- Return to Competition Assessment Tool (R-CAT III)
- COVID-19 Risk Assessment for Sport – Appendix A
- Club Risk Assessment and Mitigation Checklist Tool – Appendix B
- Fasken Limiting Liability Resources
- Return to Health and Performance following COVID-19 Infection 2020
Team Physician Resources
- Athlete Mental Health and Mental Illness in the era of COVID-19 – Shifting focus: A New Reality by Drs. Carla Edwards, Sport Psychiatrist and Jane Thornton, MD ( 25 March 2020)
- How to Cope with Training Alone – World Rowing interview with Carla Edwards, Sport Psychiatrist (24 March 2020)
- Physical activity and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): specific recommendations for homebased physical training ( 21 April 2020)
CASEM BOARD STATEMENT ON COVID-19
- CASEM Statement on Access to Physical Activity during COVID-19 “Stay Active, Stay Safe” – (28 April 2020)
- CMA COVID-19 resource page – The CMA is working with the Public Health Agency of Canada, provincial and territorial medical associations, and the Council of Chief Medical Officers of Health to share the most up-to-date and reliable resources with physicians and patients.
- CMA’s Framework for Ethical Decision Making During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- MD Financial Management Resources – There is nothing more essential than the work you do. Thank you. While you’re focused on the health of your patients, MD Financial Management (MD) and Scotiabank are committed to helping you navigate the effects of the pandemic on your personal and business finances. Visit MD Financial Management’s COVID-19 financial resources page and Scotiabank.com for the latest news and updates, and information on relief measures such as the Canada Emergency Business Account. MD Financial Management provides financial products and services, the MD Family of Funds and investment counselling services through the MD Group of Companies. For a detailed list of these companies, visit md.ca
- Choosing Wisely – COVID-19 Recommendations for the public and clinicians
- Getting Fit During Social Distancing from CASEM’s ‘Ask the Expert’ series with Dr. Darrell Menard
- Common Running Injuries from CASEM’s ‘Ask the Expert’ series with Dr. Darrell Menard
- Exercise and Stress Management from CASEM’s ‘Ask the Expert’ series with Dr. Darrell Menard
Return to SEM Practice Resources
- Canadian Medical Association – Return to Practice Guidelines
- Return To Work Template – Sport Medicine Multi-Disciplinary Clinic (June 2020)
This is a preliminary “Return to Work” plan in order for our office to prepare for re-opening when your
provincial government and our own provincial governing boards deem it is safe to do so.
- OMA SEM Section – COVID-19 Sport Medicine Re-opening Strategy during COVID-19 (June 2020)
- Considerations for Sport Medicine Procedures With Office Reopening During COVID-19 (June 2020)
- Re-Opening Guide – Primary Care, Community Specialist Offices (2 June 2020 )
Created by the Ontario Health West – South West Primary Care Pandemic Response Table. This document is intended to support clinicians in the Southwestern Ontario region in preparing to re-open their practices through the chronic phase of the COVID19 pandemic. This guide is not meant to be prescriptive but rather to support your own local decision making and circumstances. This document will be iterated, with the most up-to-date version being housed at swcovidtools.ca.
- Sport Medicine Waiver Form Template – Release of Liability, Waiver of all Possible Claims and Assumption of Risk
- Canadian Physiotherapy Association – Clinic Reopening Resources and Tools