Sport Medicine Physician – Sport Medicine Centre, University of Calgary
Location: Main Campus
The University of Calgary Sport Medicine Centre (SMC) is a busy, multi-purpose, academically integrated Sport Medicine facility within the Faculty of Kinesiology at the University of Calgary. The team at SMC includes sport medicine physicians (adult and pediatric), orthopaedic surgeons, physiotherapists, athletic therapists, massage therapy and registered dietitians. SMC provides medical services to our varsity athletes as well as community recreational and elite athletes. We also serve the community with our sub-specialty clinics- The Acute Knee Injury Clinic, The Acute Sport Concussion Clinic, the Shoulder Clinic, the Acute Sport Injury Clinic, and a Knee Osteoarthritis Clinic.
The Sport Medicine Centre is seeking a Sport Medicine Physician interested in working in this collaborative inter-disciplinary environment. The majority of the sport medicine patients are referred from community physicians and other regulated health professionals. In addition to assessing and treating patients in keeping with the standards of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, the successful candidate is expected to contribute to active academic practice. This includes resident and fellow training, athletic therapy, and medical student instruction, teaching within the Faculty of Kinesiology and collaborating with and/or generating research. Clinical appointments within the Department of Family Medicine and the Faculty of Kinesiology are expected for the successful applicant.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Residency training in Family Medicine with College of Family Physician Certification in Family Medicine.
- Completion of an Enhanced Skills PGY3 Sport and Exercise Medicine residency program with a Certificate of Added Competency (or equivalent)
- Possess the Canadian Academy of Sport and Exercise Medicine (CASEM) Diploma in Sport and Exercise Medicine (or equivalent)
- Registered in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta
- Carries required coverage through the Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Experience working in high performance sport within a multidisciplinary team of practitioners in the delivery of injury diagnosis and medical diagnosis, treatment and prevention strategies is preferred
- Have an excellent range of clinical assessment and treatment and clinical reasoning skills
- Excellent understanding of the principles of human performance and how they relate to clinical sport medicine
- Specific research interests would be considered an asset
As a member of the Sport Medicine Centre team, a successful candidate will provide the following:
- Delivery of an exceptional patient care in keeping with the standards of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta
- Commitment to collaboration and integration with the Centre colleagues
- Stay active in professional development and maintain current expert knowledge in the field
- Embody a philosophy of professionalism, excellence, health, and wellness
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective use of time and resources
- Able to work in a diverse, fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Expected to work a variety of specialty clinics in addition to their regular referral-based practice (example, Acute Sport Concussion clinic, Acute Sport Injury Clinic, Acute Knee Injury Clinic, Shoulder Clinic, etc.)
- Expected to deliver care to varsity and rodeo athletes. Also expected to be the primary physician to a varsity athlete team and provide game coverage Payment is on a fee for service basis with a competitive overhead arrangement.
Send your letter of interest with your CV to:
Director of Operations, Sport Medicine Centre
University of Calgary Sport Medicine Centre
2500 University Dr. NW
Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4