Physical Activity Counseling and Exercise Prescription in Health Care
Friday, November 17th, 2017
Open to all health care professionals and students enrolled in health and exercise sciences.
Overview: The Exercise Vital Sign (EVS) is the most important vital sign you need to monitor with the majority of patients seen in primary care today. Learn the evidence for exercise as medicine in primary care, how to efficiently integrate the EVS into daily practice, and to provide exercise counseling and prescription for your patients to prevent, manage and treat chronic disease.
1. Discuss the health benefi ts and safety of regular exercise with patients.
2. Integrate physical activity assessment as part of periodic health evaluation.
3. Provide exercise counseling and prescription as part of routine patient care.
4. Utilize a motivational counseling framework for health behaviour change.
5. Monitor aerobic exercise intensity and teach how to perform basic resistance exercise.
“What if there was one prescription that could prevent and treat dozens of diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension and obesity?
Would you prescribe it to your patients? Certainly.”
Robert E. Sallis, M.D., FACSM, Exercise is Medicine® Task Force Chairman.
Registration due: Friday, November 17, 2017.