Click on the course title for more information and registration
1) Running Injuries Workshop as part of the Vancouver Sun Run-Saturday, April 21, 2018- Vancouver, BC
2) CASEM Lower Limb MSK Ultrasound Guided Injections Course – Saturday and Sunday, May 12-13, 2018 – Calgary, AB
3) Movement is Medicine: What’s Your Patients’ Best Exercise Prescription?-Saturday April 28, 2018 – Vancouver, BC
PRECONFERENCE COURSES IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE CASEM ANNUAL SYMPOSIUM
1) CASEM Team Physician Course, 4-5 June 2018, Halifax, NS
2) Beyond Barriers: Para and Adaptive Sport Medicine Course, 6 June 2018, Halifax, NS
3) Anti-doping workshop, 6 June 2018, Halifax, NS
4) Physical Activity Counseling and Exercise Prescription in Health Care Workshop presented by EIMC, 6 June 2018, Halifax, NS
5) EIMC Train-the-trainer dinner workshop presented by EIMC 6:00-8:30pm, 6 June 2018, Halifax, NS
Running Injuries Workshop as part of the Vancouver Sun Run-Saturday, April 21, 2018- Vancouver, BC
Lead by Dr. Jack Taunton, running guru and co-founder of the Vancouver Sun Run, the CASEM Running Injuries course will be held on Saturday, the 21st April preceding the 10km Vancouver Sun Run– this one day clinical workshop will cover all aspects of running injuries including sessions on:
- Running Injuries Diagnosis and Management
- Etiological and Biomechanical Factors Involved in Running Injuries
- Lateral Knee Pain
- Insertional Achilles Pain
- Coach’s Perspective on Management of Injury in Elite Female Runners
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Injury Prevention
The day will bring together a multi-disciplinary faculty of experts in their field to address those running related clinical issues seen by the sport medicine physician.
The course will be held at the BC Place Stadium and run from 8:00am to 4:30pm, includes breakfast, lunch and breaks.
This Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 6.25 Mainpro+ credits.
ON SITE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE
Please arrive through the East Event Entrance corridor located off of Griffiths Way- You will then have to walk from section 128 to Banquet room A located between section 112 and 116- please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
CASEM Lower Limb MSK Ultrasound Guided Injections Course – Saturday and Sunday, May 12-13, 2018 – Calgary, AB
**Please note that this course is intended for those who have already completed the CASEM MSK Basic Ultrasound Course (Upper or Lower Limb)**
CASEM continues it’s continued professional development around MSK Ultrasound with the launch of a diagnostic and interventional MSK ultrasound course with a focus on ultrasound guided injections of the lower limbs. The course will be held in Calgary on Saturday and Sunday, May 12-13, 2018 and will be hosted by the University of Calgary Advanced Technical Skills Simulation Laboratory (ATSSL) organized locally by Dr. Victor Lun. The course includes lectures, live demonstrations and cadaver lab workshop sessions. An international Faculty, led by Dr. Jon Halperin, will work with a small participant group to ensure maximum learning.
This course is limited to 32 participants.
(priority is given to CASEM members who have taken the CASEM MSK Ultrasound Basics Course)
Movement is Medicine: What’s Your Patients’ Best Exercise Prescription? – Saturday April 28, 2018 – Vancouver, BC
Few doctors feel comfortable prescribing exercise to their patients… do you? This interactive half-day workshop is designed to empower primary health care providers with the skills, confidence, and tools to provide exercise counselling and prescription to patients of all ages. Learning Objectives:
- Review evidence for the harms of physical inactivity and benefits of physical activity,
- Understand the Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines for patients of all ages,
- Learn to incorporate the Exercise Vital Sign into your office visits in 1 minute, or less!
- Use simple motivation interview strategies, to reframe barriers and enhance behavioural change,
- Is exercise safe? Do I need to medically clear patients for exercise? Learn what the best approach is for your patients with pre-existing chronic disease.
Speakers: Dr. Kara Solmundson, MD, CCFP (SEM), CASEM Sport Med Dip, MSc, UBC Clinical Instructor; Josh Bovard, MSc, CSEP-CEP, EIMC-Level 2.
Credits: 7 Mainpro+ credits.
Target audience: Family physicians, residents, nurse practitioners, exercise professionals.
CASEM Team Physician Course, 4-5 June 2018, Halifax, NS in conjunction with the CASEM Annual Symposium
This two-day course, chaired by Dr. Taryn Taylor, will address and prepare physicians to provide medical care to athletes. The target audience is a physician of any specialty, with or without their CASEM diploma, who wishes to develop and enhance their knowledge of and skill in the care of the athlete and the role of the team physician. This course may also be of interest to allied health professionals who are involved with the care of the athlete of sports teams
Beyond Barriers: Para and Adaptive Sport Medicine Conference, 6 June 2018, Halifax, NS in conjunction with the CASEM Annual Symposium
Chaired by Dr. Lindsay Bradley. This one-day workshop is designed specifically to address sport medicine clinical issues in athletes with a disability. This course is intended for physicians specializing in sports medicine as well as physiotherapists, athletic therapists, nurses and other health care professionals with an interest in caring for athletes with a disability.
Anti-doping workshop, 6 June 2018, Halifax, NS in conjunction with the CASEM Annual Symposium
Chaired by Dr. Andrew Marshall. It is said that “Doping is a hindrance to sports ethics and a threat to the health of athletes” – CASEM will provide a comprehensive 2 and a half-hour session on all you need to know about doping in your role as a sport medicine physician. Experts will be on hand from CCES and experienced team physicians will provide their insight and own experiences.
Physical Activity Counseling and Exercise Prescription in Health Care Workshop presented by EIMC, 6 June 2018, Halifax, NS in conjunction with the CASEM Annual Symposium
Wednesday, June, 2018 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Location: Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites
1960 Brunswick Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 2G7, Canada
- Dr. Victor Lun, MSc, MD, CCFP, Dip Sport Med, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine, University of Calgary.
- Dr. Jonathon Fowles, PhD, CSEP-CEP, CSCS, Clifford Shand Research Chair, Director, Centre of Lifestyle Studies, Professor, School of Kinesiology, Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia
- Discuss the health benefits and safety of regular exercise with their patients.
- Use physical activity as one of the vital signs when doing a clinical health evaluation
- Provide basic PA counseling and exercise prescription for patients as part of patient care
- Utilize motivational counseling to help patients overcome barriers for health behaviour change
- Learn how to monitor aerobic exercise intensity and how to do basic resistance exercise
Interested in delivering the EIMC workshop? Attend the evening workshop from 6-8:30pm! See below for more information
EIMC Train-the-trainer dinner workshop presented by EIMC 6:00-8:30pm, 6 June 2018, Halifax, NS in conjunction with the CASEM Annual Symposium
This workshop is for physicians and other health care professionals interested in delivering EIMC PA counseling and Exercise Prescription in Health Care presentations and workshops in their own communities, to help disseminate and build the EIMC message. Eligible participants are those who are EIMC Network members in good standing and have attended a full day EIMC PA Counseling and Exercise Prescription workshop, and have workshop experience or experience in continuing education delivery.
The T-t-T dinner workshop will review the practicalities for delivering EIMC presentations and workshops to your colleagues; we will review the pre-workshop preparation, materials and tools needed, format and delivery of the workshop. EIMC faculty and workshop developers will guide candidates through the process and answer questions.
To attend, please provide a brief CV (with evidence of workshop or education delivery experience) and proof of registration of attendance to an EIMC workshop.
Space is limited. There is no cost, but registration and approval is required for attendance.
To register please email Helen at email@example.com
UPCOMING EVENTS IN 2018
- 11-12th MSK Lower Limb Ultrasound Guided Injections in Calgary, AB
- 13th Running Injuries Course in Charlottetown, PEI in conjunction with the PEI marathon
- 3-4th Advanced Sport Medicine Course in Ottawa, ON
- 24th Football Injuries Course in Edmonton, AB in conjunction with the Grey Cup Weekend Festival
- Sports Medicine Cycling Injuries in Milton, ON in conjunction with the UCI Track World Cup
CASEM holds a variety of SEM courses throughout the year.
Check back frequently to see what is available.
- Summer Endurance Course
- Winter Endurance Course
- MSK Ultrasound Course
- Advanced Sport Medicine Course
- Running Injuries
- Timely Topics
- Team Physician
- Injury Prevention